WebSite-Watcher is a comprehensive application that enables users to organize a list of favorite websites and track all changes. It can also be installed on USB flask drives for portability.
Although not particularly intuitive, the interface is user-friendly and lets you organize multiple bookmarks into lists. When adding a new website, whether it requires login credentials or not, you can specify the type between webpage, forum, and RSS / Atom-feed. Alternatively, you can use predefined plugins to check a page.
As far as bookmark properties go, you can edit the name and URL, insert an alternative URL for checking, import properties from another bookmark, as well as use a filter assistant or test filters yourself by comparing the current and previous version (with HTML tag highlights).
In addition, you can create a list of keywords to highlight in the page, enable auto-watch, set alerts on initialization, changes and / or errors, choose the method for checking web pages (eg screenshot), as well as run additional actions when an update is detected (eg play sound, open page, send email, run program, mark as read).
Advanced users may configure time settings, the highlight method and plugins, merge pages, follow links, ignore updates through a whitelist or blacklist, and more.
The bookmark file may be protected with a password. It is possible to optimize or repair the database, or re-create it from cache, minimize WebSite-Watcher to the system tray area, create news groups, locate duplicate bookmarks, import and export bookmarks (eg ZIP, CSV), synchronize two items , use a backup and restore service, as well as edit scripts, to name just a few.
WebSite-Watcher supports multiple languages and hotkeys that can be reconfigured. It has a good refresh rate and performs smoothly, without causing any issues to the OS. To sum it up, WebSite-Watcher supplies users with a wide array of features and settings for monitoring their favorite websites with ease.
Here are some key features of “WebSite-Watcher”:
Monitor web pages:
– Monitor web pages with a minimum of time. Why waste hours surfing the web, when WebSite-Watcher can do this job for you within a few minutes. Supports all kind of pages with textual content (HTML, ASP, PHP).
Monitor password protected pages:
– Logins to a password protected page can be recorded with the integrated Check-Macro feature. These macros are executed when WebSite-Watcher checks the bookmarks for updates.
– Efficient way to monitor forums for new topics and replies using forum templates. Works with all major forums including phpBB, SMF, vBulletin, IPB, etc.
– Website-Watcher converts RSS / Atom feeds into a readable format using a template system. So you can use the full power of WebSite-Watcher to detect new or changed RSS postings within a single tool and also monitor password protected RSS feeds behind a login.
– WebSite-Watcher offers a base functionality for reading and writing new newsgroup postings and answers. The newsgroups functionality can also be used with the keywords functionality to monitor postings for specified keywords.
Monitor binary files:
– Binary files (for example zip or exe files) can be monitored via the file date, the file size or via a small part of the content. That allows you to efficiently monitor large files without having to download them.Dependent from the server, WebSite-Watcher will choose the best checking method automatically.
Monitor local files:
– Monitor local files and directories and use the same powerful features as you do for web resources.
Powerful yet simple filter system:
– Powerful yet simple filters enhance your control, and allow you, for example, to ignore changing banners and adverts. Filters can be created automatically with the self learning Auto-Filter system, or manually with the filter wizard. Simple wildcard filters and regular expressions give you total control over the filtering mechanism, so you can exclude parts or only watch specific areas of a page; very useful for dynamically generated content or sites with extensive advertising).
– Highlight changes in pages that have been modified. No need to compare the old content with the new, when Website-Watcher can do this for you. See what you’re looking for in seconds. Filtered content will not be highlighted, so you will not waste your time to look at stuff you are not interested in (for example advertising or a changing user counter).
Monitor pages for specified words:
– Looking for specific words within a website’s pages? Or perhaps you’re waiting for a certain word or phrase to appear? Website-Watcher can handle both tasks with ease. Only get an update notification when specified words are within new / changed content, furthermore WebSite-Watcher will highlight these words, so you see them within a second.
Monitor whole sites instead of single pages:
– The Follow-Links feature allows you to monitor complete websites instead of single web pages. Using this feature, hyperlinks in a page are inserted automatically as new bookmarks. You have control over the link depth or which URLs should be included or excluded.
– Monitor pages only after clicking the check button.
– Check pages automatically with the AutoWatch feature. You can define if and how often a bookmark should be checked when WebSite-Watcher is in AutoWatch mode
Automate checks and tasks with the integrated scripting language:
– A simple yet powerful scripting language lets you automate specific tasks. For example to check bookmarks, create a report and send the report by email without having to execute all these commands manually step by step.
Additional actions when updates are detected:
– For example to play an alternative sound, send emails or open the changed page with another program.You configure the software to work the way you want.
Work with checked pages (Searches, Reports, etc.):
– All monitored pages are saved to your hard drive. This allows you to quickly and simply open and view the monitored pages, search text in downloaded files and make reports … all without even having to be online.
Archive pages permanently:
– Keep the information you need by archiving pages with our tool Local Website Archive. This can be done automatically via the bookmark properties or manually on demand.
Synchronize bookmark files:
– Synchronize bookmarks between computers with the synchronize functionality.
Backup and Restore:
– The integrated Backup / Restore feature allows you to backup and restore your settings, bookmarks and downloaded files into / from a zip archive.